CUPERTINO, CA – On August 21st, the Intero Foundation issued their third round of grants of the year directed towards the California communities of Willow Glen in San Jose, Saratoga, and Los Gatos. In 2002, the leaders of Intero Real Estate Services, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway affiliate and wholly owned subsidiary of HomeServices of America, Inc., founded the Intero Foundation to be a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting children in the communities local to where Intero conducts business.
Over a decade later, the Foundation empowers a diversity of organizations that positively impact the education and personal development of children. Through Intero’s agents, employees and fundraising events, the Foundation has generated over $3 million with an endowment of more than $775,000 and has given $195,000 in 2014 year to date.
In order to sustain its commitment to giving back to the community, each quarter, the Intero Foundation presents grants to non-profits that have been approved by the Foundation Committee. This third quarter round of grants were brought to the foundation by Intero’s offices located in Willow Glen, Saratoga, and Los Gatos. A total of $65,000 split amongst the following organizations:
1. Far West Wheelchair Athletic Association – Develops, promotes and organizes community based sport and recreation programs for individuals of all ages with various physical disabilities. The Intero Willow Glen Office presented $7,200 to send physically disabled children to a week–long camp designed specifically for them.
2. Shop With A Cop – Established to build positive relationships between police officers and children in the community. The Intero Willow Glen Office presented $7,200 to help fund the organizations Heroes and Helpers Holiday Shopping spree, which allows qualified children from the Readers are Leaders program the chance to shop for gifts for themselves and their family during the holidays with a Police Officer.
3. Willow Glen High School Parent Club/Willow Glen Cares – Supports and tracks the progress of Willow Glen High School Students who are homeless, live in foster care, in poverty or have severe handicaps. Their goal is increase the graduation rate, college attendance and career readiness of their students by offering financial and social/motivational support. The Intero Willow Glen Office presented $7,000 to help fund educational, academic, and social expenses for students with learning/physical disabilities or financial struggles.
4. Books Aloud – Provides recorded reading literature to individuals who are unable to read conventional print, hold a book or turn pages. The Intero Saratoga Office presented $10,000 to go towards creating 5 new mini-libraries complete with Nook e-readers, recording and circulating approximately 10 new youth audio books, and facilitating outreach to special education teachers throughout Santa Clara County.
5. Family Supportive Housing – Provides services to those struggling with poverty, hunger, and homelessness. They address the needs of the whole family including supportive housing, childcare, life skill classes, transitional housing and more. The Intero Saratoga Office presented $7,000 to support the Voyager Child Development Center, which provides reliable, quality childcare for homeless infants and preschool children at the same site their families receive emergency shelter.
6. Reading Partners – Dedicated to improving students’ reading skills in Title 1 elementary schools. The Intero Saratoga Office presented $5,000 to provide tutoring to students at Cesar Chavez Elementary School in East San Jose.
7. National Alliance on Mental Illness – Provides self-help, support and advocacy for consumers, families, and friends of people with severe mental illnesses. The Intero Los Gatos Office presented $7,200 for their Ending The Silence program, which educates high school students across Santa Clara County about mental illness through onsite presentations.
8. Stand Up For Kids – Provides life-saving and outreach services to homeless, street kids, and at-risk youth across America. The Intero Los Gatos Office presented $7,200 to go towards street outreach and operations of The Village in San Jose, which provides a safe place for kids to receive services and support to improve their lives.
9. SJB Child Development Center - Provides educational child development services for children 0-12 years of age to strengthen and support families throughout Santa Clara County. The Intero Los Gatos Office presented $7,200 for their after school and summer programs which focus on increasing the academic and social-emotional aptitudes of at-risk and high-risk kids.
To find out more about the Intero Foundation, visit the website at interofoundation.org.
About the Intero Foundation
Funded, promoted and governed by Intero agents and employees, the Intero Foundation is a non–profit organization guided by the principle that one must give in order to receive and committed to helping children in need. Since its inception in 2002, the organization has raised more than $3 million and has supported over 140 charities that positively impact the growth and well-being of children in need.
About the Intero® Brand
Intero Real Estate Services, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway affiliate and wholly owned subsidiary of HomeServices of America Inc, serves Northern California with 13 offices throughout the greater Silicon Valley. The Intero Franchise network is comprised of nearly 50 affiliates located in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, Tennessee and Texas. The company is headquartered in California’s Silicon Valley.
Find more information about Intero at www.interorealestate.com.
Find more information about HomeServices at www.homeservices.com.