366 Avenue Of The Oaks
Moncks Corner, South Carolina, United States

Description

Gippy Plantation, originally part of Fairlawn Barony was purchased by John White in 1821 and was named for the nearby swamp Gippy. The original home that was built burned and it is believed that the current structure was completed in 1858. This 3 story Greek Revival frame structure that boasts 6,528 square feet, sits on nearly five acres of land and comes equipped with seven bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms 11 fireplaces, 2 large parlors, a huge formal dining room, a cozy den/library, a spacious side porch, a double garage with a workshop, an old smoke house, a wash house and an 850 sq. ft. guest cottage. All of the rooms in the main house are magnificent in size and tongue and groove wood flooring as well as 12 ft. ceilings run throughout most of the home. The guest cottage located behind the house features a living room, one bedroom, one bathroom, a cozy kitchen eat-in kitchen and a spot for a stackable washer and dryer. Formal gardens accent the property and one of the gardens dates back to circa 1928 and is believed to have been the work of the acclaimed 20th century landscape architect Loutrel Briggs. In 1927 Nicholas G. Roosevelt acquired the property and turned the former rice plantation into a productive agricultural enterprise making it the site of "Gippy Dairy" which supplied milk products to schools and companies throughout the lowcountry. Gippy also earned a spot in recreational history by hosting the Pinopolis Lancing Tournament from 1952-1964. This tournament was important to Berkeley County and attracted spectators from all over the state as well as important political figures such as Governor Ernst F. Hollings. While Gippy has been enjoyed and loved throughout the years by the current owners it is time for a new family...a family that can restore and renovate this magnificent plantation home while preserving the history and nostalgia that Gippy has been so well known for throughout history. In 1982 Gippy was selected for the filming of several scenes for the movie Lords of Discipline and in 2016 the plantation house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The guest cottage sq footage is not part of the 6825 sq. ft.

Presented by

Carolina One Real Estate

Carolina One Real Estate
Click To Show Phone
Main: +1 843 202 2054
Fax: +1 843 202 2051

Location

Disclaimer

To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, this web site and the materials are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. LuxuryRealEstate.com expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether expressed, implied, or statutory including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. We do not warrant that this web site or the materials are completely error free, will operate without interruption, are compatible with all equipment and software configurations, free of viruses, errors, or other harmful components, or will otherwise meet your needs.