Attic Storage, Bar, Billiards Room, Butler's Pantry, Cable TV, Cathedral Ceiling, Courtyard, Exercise Room, Fitness Room, Garage, Garden, Jogging/Biking Path, Large Kitchen Island, Library, Media/Game Room, Pantry, Park, Pool, Rooftop Deck, Sauna, Sunroom.
Burglar Alarm, Cook Top Range, Dishwasher, Fixtures, Kitchen Island, Kitchen Pantry, Oven, Refrigerator, Washer & Dryer.
All Drapes, Balcony, Bar, Bar-Dry, Bar-Wet, Beam Ceilings, Blinds/Shades, Book Shelving, Box Ceiling, Built-in Bookcases/Shelves, Cathedral/Vaulted/Tray Ceiling, Chandelier, Corridor Access, Crown Molding, Decorative Lighting, Decorative Molding, Exposed Beams, Fitness, French Doors, Furnace, Furnished, Hardwood Flooring, High Ceilings, In-Law Suite, Kitchen Island, Paneled Doors, Sauna, Security System, Solid Surface Counters, Solid Wood Cabinets, Solid Wood Doors, Stone Counters, Study, Tile Floors, Two Story Ceilings, Wall Paneling, Washer and dryer, Wood Ceilings, Wood Floors, Woodwork.
Art Studio, Atrium, Central/Center Hall, Den, Dressing Area, Family Room, Formal Dining Room, Foyer, Game Room, Great Room, Guest House Separate, Guest Room, In-law, Inside Laundry, Laundry Room, Library, Living Room, Music Room, Office, Patio Enclosed, Recreation Room, Sauna, Separate Family Room, Storage Room, Study, Sun Room, Utility Room, Wine Cellar, Workshop.
Balcony, Barn/Stable, Deck, Enclosed Porch(es), Exterior Lighting, Fencing, Gazebo, Open Porch(es), Outbuilding(s), Patio, Recreation Area, Storage Shed, Swimming, Terrace, Under Ground Electric.
Garden View, Hills View, Landscape, Meadow, Mountain View, Open View, Orchard View, Panoramic, Pastoral View, Scenic View, Swimming Pool View, Trees, Valley, View, Wooded.
The imposing tower of this landmark castle has been an iconic presence in the Verona region since the days of the Holy Roman Empire. Home to a single noble family since the 14th century and exceptionally renovated for modern living, the castle’s 80 rooms are beautifully appointed to serve as a family compound, a luxury boutique hotel, an event venue, or a corporate retreat.
Long before the castle was built, the mountain was an important station in the chain of signal fires employed by the Romans to link communications between Italy and the trans-Alpine provinces. An ancient Roman road still passes beneath the castle at the mountain’s base. Cardinal Madrutz, an important ecclesiastical delegate to the Council of Trent in the 16th century, lived in the castle during the council’s deliberations for the Counter-Reformation. Mozart wrote a mass commemorating the investiture of a member of the castle’s noble family as Archbishop of Salzburg in 1776. More recently, German and Italian forces turned the castle into an officers’ command center in World War II, sparing it significant damage.
The octagonal granite tower, 40-meters in height and a unique structure in the Val di Non, was erected in the 12th century. During the next 500 years, the castle grew around the tower in two separate additions, each with its own courtyard and loggia, to reach present-day proportions in the mid-17th century.
Substantial 21st century renovations have introduced the highest modern standards of elegance and luxury while preserving the irreplaceable Gothic frescoes, and Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque architectural features for which the castle is famous. Interior furnishings, with several exclusions, will be conveyed with the sale and include antique furniture, paintings, chandeliers, Venetian mirrors, and carpets.
Significant elements include:
• An impressive portcullis entrance
• Medieval and Baroque castle sections with separate courtyards connected by a passage
• Elegant former stables suitable for very large parties and events
• Two chapels, one housing significant late-Gothic frescoes by Giovanni and Batista Baschenis from the Bergamo region of Lombardy, awarded best privately-restored chapel in Europe, 1996, by EUROPA NOSTRA in cooperation with Christie’s
• 1,300 square-foot Knight’s Hall with architecturally significant late Gothic wooden ceiling
• 15 bedrooms; one suite of rooms named for Cardinal Madrutz and decorated with 16-century frescoes by Marcello Fogolino
• 16 restored porcelain room stoves dating from the 16th to the 18th centuries
• Wine cellar
• Garage and outbuildings
• 2.5 acres of terraced gardens with views of the Val di Non
• 13 acres of forest adjacent to the castle
• 9 acres of apple orchard
• Two heating systems, fuel-oil and wood pellet
• Complete recent installation of a modern electrical system
• 25KW emergency generator
• Installation of water pipes and waste water disposal system connected to the village system
• Two operational water wells
• Roof renewal with hand-made, period-style tiles
• Four modern kitchens in addition to a restored antique kitchen
• 14 bathrooms
• In-castle and perimeter alarm systems
• Two staff apartments for estate administrator and gardener
• A pristine swimming pool at terrace-level overlooking the Val di Non
Accessibility and nearby amenities:
• Easy access to two airports in Bolzano and Verona
• Nearby 18 hole golf course (pending expansion to 27 holes)
• Nearby world-famous ski region Madonna di Campiglio
Historic Landmark in Northern Italy!, The tower, the origin of the Castle, stands 40 meters in height and has been a regional landmark since the 12th century., Stunning arches and loggia accent the courtyards of this historic castle., The Knight's Hall prepared for a special event seats 90 people., 2.5 acres of terraced gardens, 13 acres of forest adjacent to the castle and 9 acres of apple orchards.
To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, this web site and the materials are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. LuxuryRealEstate.com expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether expressed, implied, or statutory including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. We do not warrant that this web site or the materials are completely error free, will operate without interruption, are compatible with all equipment and software configurations, free of viruses, errors, or other harmful components, or will otherwise meet your needs.