This breathtaking timber frame home is understated elegance and comfort at it finest. It is one of the few luxury residential properties where you actually feel at home from the moment you enter, and has been the winner of multiple awards for outstanding design and energy efficiency. Designed by architect Robert Formisano, AIA, this environmentally responsible, energy conserving home has been published in numerous magazines including Timber Home Living and Robb Report Exceptional Properties.
The lakefront timber frame home is located on 160 feet of prime west facing frontage on pristine Pearl Lake in northern Michigan, and is located close to the resort cities of Traverse City and Glen Arbor and the Sleeping Bear Dunes on Lake Michigan.
· 2005 State of Michigan Energy Star Home Grant Award
· 2006 Grand Traverse People's Choice Award
· 2006 Grand Traverse Exterior Design & Appeal Award
· 2006 Grand Traverse Green Build Certified Home Award
· 2006 NAHB Building Systems Panelized Home Award
· EPA Energy Star 5-Star Certification (HERS Score 92.2)
· Traverse City Record Eagle, March 2006, "Green Star"
· Northern Home & Cottage, Sept/Oct 2006, "The Timber Frame Revealed"
· Arredamento Rivestimenti Magazine, September 2007 "Un Loft Country Chic" (Italy)
· Timber Home Living, February 2008 "Cozy Quarters"
· Robb Report "Exceptional Properties" Magazine, January/February 2010
REGIONAL SITE PROXIMITY:
· 12 miles from Lake Michigan shoreline
· 12 miles fromSleeping Bear Dunes National Park
· 15 miles from Traverse City or Glen Arbor resort areas
· 20 miles from Crystal Mountain Ski Resort
· 12 golf courses available within 15 miles
· 6,200 SF Living Space
· 4 Levels (including copper roofed lookout)
· 5 BR + 6th used as bonus / office space
· 4 Full Baths and 1 Half Bath
· Custom Dog Shower
· 4-car heated garage capacity within 3-car area (vaulted ceiling allows use of 9,000 pound capacity vehicle storage lift)
· 5-Star EPA Energy Certified Star Rating
LAKEFRONT HOME SITE:
· 10 acre wooded parcel
· 148 acre hardwood forest common area
· Hillside building site
Enjoy the beautiful sunsets and lake views from most every room in addition to the copper roofed lookout tower accessed by a spiral staircase on the second floor.
· 160 foot natural sand beach frontage
· Eastern lakefront frontage (west facing site)
· Beautiful sunset views (see photos)
· View across lake is virgin forest (State owned)
PEARL LAKE SUMMARY:
· Pristine 600+ acre spring-fed lake
· Pearl Lake hosts beautiful natural wildlife including Bald Eagle, Loon, Sand Hill Crane
· Fishing and boating, kayaking, swimming, hiking, mountain biking, snow mobiles, cross country skiing
· State owned natural forest on most of shoreline is protected from future development
SITE DEVELOPMENT FEATURES:
· Solar/wind home orientation reduces energy costs
· Premium hillside lot with home nestled into site
· Extensive granite boulder retaining walls
· Large limestone slab steps lead up hillside from the beach
· 3 exterior cedar decks; private cedar deck off MBR suite
· Timber frame supported main deck structure
· Paved circular drive and paved access road to home site
· Large curved concrete driveway
· Large flagstone patio and flagstone walkway
· Private flagstone patio terrace off Library
· Barrier free "no threshold" inclined walk leads to side entry
Entertaining is easy with a gourmet kitchen and dining room, large great room with see-through fireplace to the elegant antique oak paneled library, screen porch, deck and flagstone terrace. A billiard room loft overlooks the great room and dining room.
Master bedroom on second floor with wonderful timberframe detailing, outdoor balcony and two walk-in closets. Master bath with double vanity, walk-in shower, deep whirlpool tub and heated floors.
Home is handicap accessible with paved entry ramp, wider doorways, spacious first floor bedroom and adjacent full bathroom.
Lower level family room with wet bar, granite counter, copper sink, beverage refrigerator and a custom designed timber frame bar counter. French doors access the expansive stone terrace leading to lake. Three bedrooms and two slate-tiled full baths with granite counters. Radiant heated floors throughout the lower level.
Mudroom / laundry area features a tiled, built-in dog shower area and half bath and a second staircase to large office/bonus room over garage.
· Award winning Green Design/Sustainable Designed
· Architect designed
· SIP (Structural Insulated Panels) Wall Structure (R-27)
· SIP (Structural Insulated Panels) Roof Structure (R-42)
· Timber frame (interior) features forest salvaged inland fir (FSIF) main timber frame with cherry wood braces
· Timber frame (exterior) features white oak used on front porch, deck structure, garage roof overhang support structure, decorative roof corbels.
· Sunset and lake views throughout
· Large gourmet Kitchen with granite counters
· Premium appliances (Dacor range, Bosch dishwasher)
· Extensive track and accent lighting throughout home
· Dual staircases plus spiral staircase to lookout
· Home designed is for barrier free wheel chair accessible first floor living including wider doorways, spacious first guest floor bedroom and adjacent full bathroom
· Premium drywall construction including rounded corners and knock-down "plaster" finishing
· Thick 1-3/4 inch stile and rail hardwood doors with premium door hardware
· Premium cast bronze window cranks on casement windows
· Premium door hardware
· Premium hardwood base molding
· Dual sided gas fireplace serves Great Room and Library
· Billiard area in loft overlooks Great Room and Dining Room
· 3 season screen porch
· Mud Room features built in cubbies and bench seat
· Two story Mud Room with vaulted ceiling and track lighting
· Copper roof on main porch and lookout tower
· Commissioned artist custom weathervane atop lookout
· Heated garage with utility sink and floor drains
PREMIUM NATURAL FINISHES AND APPOINTMENTS
· Timber frame interior construction (Forest Salvaged Inland Fir)
· Tongue and groove pine ceiling in main timber frame area
· Sustainable farmed Canadian rustic maple solid tongue and groove hardwood floor in Great Room and Dining area
· Cork floor in Library and Kitchen
· Natural linoleum floor in Mud Room and Lower Level
· Wool berber carpeting used throughout upper floor and main floor bedroom
· Slate floor in foyer and lower level bathrooms
· Low VOC paint used throughout home 1-1/4 inch granite used on all vanities and counter tops
· Hand hammered copper sinks in Kitchen island and Bar
· Architectural antique quarter sawn oak wainscot panels in Library with custom bookcases
· Covered timber frame front porch with tongue and groove flooring, beaded ceiling and copper roof
· Cherry stained Alder wood custom kitchen cabinets
· Cement fiber exterior siding
Home automation system allows remote access to the lights, heating and cooling, and security system. Home electrical system prepped for generator. Structured cabling throughout the home. Heated by gas forced air furnace with ERV, air conditioning, radiant floor heat in the lower level and all full baths.
· Copper PEX plumbing (50 yr guarantee)
· 400 Amp electrical service
· Transfer switch and panel prepped for emergency generator
· 100 Amp service panel in Garage with 240 volt power
· Home automation and security system with remote access
· Structured broadband Ethernet and coaxial cable system
· Dual high efficiency gas furnaces with ERV
· Low air infiltration leakage: 0.25 air changes per hour
· Radiant heat used throughout lower level
· Radiant heat used in all upper level bathrooms
· Combination boiler / domestic water heater
· Well / septic / propane heat
· Water filtration / conditioning system
· Wet / dry central vacuum system
· Low energy consumption appliances
· Low water consumption dishwasher and clothes washer
To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, this web site and the materials are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. LuxuryRealEstate.com expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether expressed, implied, or statutory including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. We do not warrant that this web site or the materials are completely error free, will operate without interruption, are compatible with all equipment and software configurations, free of viruses, errors, or other harmful components, or will otherwise meet your needs.