Sometimes, our McGarr Realty clients are easy to please.
“We were seeking a sort of seclusion, with easy access to services, the border and other cities,” one client recently told a McGarr Real Estate team member.
“You helped us find that, in St. Davids.”
The Village of St. Davids, ON, was incorporated into the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake in an amalgamation that took place in 1970. The Town itself is now composed of Old Town; Virgil; Queenston; Glendale and St. Davids, along with surrounding rural areas, including Homer and McNab.
While St. Davids is an active partner in the larger NOTL community, the village retains its small-town feel, offering residents seclusion with access to big-city services and an infrastructure supplied by the Town that puts its residents first.
A quick search of Realtor.ca revealed that homes for sale in this pretty community include truly secluded rural properties along with newer subdivision lots and even a few historic homes.
St. Davids home prices range from the high $400,000-mark to in excess of $2,000,000. Many factors are at play to create this economy:
- Location: As a partner in the communities that make up the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, residents, both new and those whose families helped create the village, seek the quiet and convenience this location offers. Not to mention, it's beautiful here, with rolling hills, treed areas and proximity to the Niagara River and Four Mile Creek.
- History: This area has history in its very terrain – think First Nations, United Empire Loyalists and the struggles of the War of 1812-14. There is much more to say about the area’s history, but we’ll take care of that in a second blog entry.
- Real estate market: Within the St. Davids area, homes just don’t change hands that often. New construction brings a diversity to the economy and demographics of the area, but older homes and historic properties, when offered for sale, usually get snapped up quickly by buyers just waiting to change their addresses. Demand often drives prices higher than national averages.
- Infrastructure and services: From education to health care to shopping and other services, residents have the choice of the entirety of Niagara at their disposal. Highways and regional roads give NOTL residents access to Niagara Falls; St. Catharines; Thorold; Welland; Pelham; Fort Erie; Port Colborne; Wainfleet; Lincoln; West Lincoln; Grimsby; Hamilton; the GTA and of course, the border crossings to the United States at Queenston-Lewiston, the Falls and Fort Erie. You definitely CAN get there from here!
- Industry: We don’t normally describe industry as “pretty,” but in NOTL and the St. Davids area, industry no longer means factories. Instead, the focus for industry in this area is now agriculture – specifically, tender fruit, grape and wine production. And guess what? This industry is quiet! If you are looking for a home in Ontario’s wine country, St. Davids is one place to consider.
When you put the pieces of information about real estate in St. Davids together like this, it’s easy to see why it’s a community in demand.
Are you looking for seclusion with services and a side of history thrown in? St. Davids may be just what you need. Let our McGarr team of real estate experts help you find it!
Are you ready to start searching for your dream home? Give our office a call at 905-468-9229 in Niagara-on-the-Lake, or 905-687-9229 in St. Catharines.